Skip to main content

Is there a female guitar style?

This is a ridiculous question. How could there be a female guitar style? People are people. There's no female way of eating, or sleeping, or going to the toilet.... hang on a minute.

The proportion of female to male guitarists is tiny; there are very few females whose playing is considered noteworthy. I think there's two issues going on.

1. Confidence
2. Lack of ownership

I'll start with lack of ownership. Modern guitarring is usually about churning out lightning-speed blues runs. It needs a lot of practice and a strong wrist. Boys are often more dedicated to putting in the time with this kind of activity.

The hobby/collector/trainspotter mentality runs through guitarring, too. The memorising of names that could be lorries or amplifiers ACs and JCs, the discussions about the merits of digital, analogue, diesel. I find that my memory doesn't tend to hold these numbers and letters easily. BUT I DO KNOW WHAT I LIKE.

I won't even mention the guitar as penis thing because that's just ridiculous. But maybe also slightly relevant.

I am always pleased to see some girl or woman playing really great guitar in the traditional male style. I often see them on Facebook - some 14-year-old marvel doing something the Americans call 'shredding'. It's absolutely brilliant. It would be particularly brilliant if the girl has chosen this style for herself and has no musical family members. Often though, I suspect there's a proud dad in the background who has transferred all his technique to the next generation.

Here's a couple of female jazz guitarists playing at a London jazz club; look at the comments though - it's not rampant sexism, just a bit of male sneering at Deirdre Cartwright, who inspired me on the TV programme Rock School.
 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zS9LtGOVnUk


There probably isn't a 'female style of driving', but the fact that so many women drive, and that there are female driving instructors means that there's a broad range of driving styles. Some drivers are more cautious, more empathetic, slower. I don't race my car and I hardly ever sound my horn. That's not a female style of driving, but I bet more women drive like that.

So could there be a female guitar style? Before Hendrix, Chuck Berry and Elvis there was Sister Rosetta Tharpe. Her rhythmic gospel blues picking is a wonder; she played her own style and influenced many male musicians who went on to make playing guitar a speed race and a noise competition.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuVzm86oB1Y


One way that women have made a guitar-playing impact is with alternative tunings -like Joni Mitchell. I respect this and think it does seem like truly female playing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7YGPv3xeNY


But what made me want to play were the female post-punks; the Raincoats, The Slits, The Mo-Dettes, Delta 5. They had the cack-handed technique like the punk boys but their creativity was fabulous and very female.










Lesley Woods from the Au Pairs was another role model for me and I'd often be down the front at gigs watching her playing more than her singing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RnuVXWR9p0

So some women have made certain styles of playing guitar their own. The other big factor is confidence. I still believe that I am a rubbish guitarist because I cannot churn out a Claptonesque party piece or play the theme to Top Gear or that snooker music.

And just as women in every area of professional life believe they are not good enough, so we leave guitarring to the boys because more of them have the self-belief as well as the wrist action. But if you can conquer the confidence gap, it doesn't matter what you're actually doing. People just want to see you play with passion. Let's have some more female guitarists.

I write this because today, for the first time ever, I went into a music shop and tried out a guitar amp. Despite playing in bands for years, I have never had the courage to play in this arena of male virtuosity and hard rock judgement. Today I felt very brave and I did not care what the five men in the shop thought of my playing.

Comments

  1. So did you get one?

    (A Jenkins here in case you don't recognise my google log in)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes. My ex-Showaddywaddy silver top is in retirement so I bought one made in Northampton and a distortion pedal to match my jumper!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to have an ex-Boo Radleys Marshall.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ruth, there are no gendered playing styles. There is just a ton of sexism in the music industry. That said, the generation after us doesn't seem to be as burdened by this. I've seen all manner of groups with women guitar players in the last couple of years and some play like they want to be in arena rock bands, others are folky, some know only a few chords but play out anyway, etc. Some are very creative, like the ones you mention, but no, Joni's not being feminine when she uses alternative tunings, she's being an arty, creative guitar player. Just like John Fahey wasn't being a male guitar player when he came up with his style of playing, he was just a very creative person. Mary Timony wasn't playing "male" or "female" guitar music when she played on the power pop album of the decade so far(Ex Hex's Rips). She was just playing superbly and beating all the guys and girls at that game. Elizabeth Cotten had an unusual playing style as well, but that was because she was poor and self taught, not because she was a woman.

    But because men and women don't see things from the same perspective, there most definitely are lyrics that are gendered, though most are not. I don't think a man could have written "Danny's Boy" or "Fay". And I don't think a woman could have written "Under My Thumb" (though some have sung it), or Serge Gainsbourg's infamous "Les Sucettes". [For those who don't know this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-iysdFu_TQ is a video actually played on French TV in 1966, and without knowing french you can probably guess what that song is actually about. 18 year old France Gall did not know, and she talks about how finding out affected her here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9ajuEVNfb0 ]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to have opinion about the blog. You may be right, but we still need a lot more women guitarists. I'm trying to do my bit...

      Delete
  5. Maybelle Carter of the Carter Family was a very interesting and highly significant female guitarist. The way she played, the fluid motion of picking a melody with the thumb and strumming with the fingers, all in one motion, is basically a banjo technique called 'frailing' which she innovated as a guitar technique in the late 1920s. Half of popular music owes a debt to her for doing that. She had a huge impact on the way the acoustic guitar is played by folk, bluegrass and country musicians: a full melody with the thumb, strumming with the fingers, all at once. The Carter Scratch, they used to call it.

    I think she's interesting because the appreciation of guitar playing is very much tied up with blues and lead playing, and is very much a boys' club, I think. Maybelle played country but her influence seems to have been across the board; such that one could wonder if she isn't actually much more influential than someone like Robert Johnson, in a way. It's difficult to imagine whole swathes of popular music from the 50s and 60s onwards, without her impact. If you go to any open mic night the people who can play, and deliver a song, tend to be the people who can play a bit like her. You won't hear many Robert Johnsons in that scenario.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Danny, great useful info.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Why PO! is a terrible name for a band

Back in 1987, PO! was a great name for a band: This was the exact moment when we decided to call the band PO! - outside a white-tiled cinema in Leicester ................... and look at my Walkman on the ground! PO! was short, so that you could print it in font size 300 to be easily seen on a poster. It was trendy to have an exclamation mark back then. I chose the word PO! because it meant lots of different things in different languages; it was a common word around the world  but a bit intriguing for the English.  In 1987, there were no other bands called anything like PO! as far as I know.  This photo session was done while we were talking about possible names. The original band members were me - Ruth Miller, bass player Julian Glover and Drummer Marc Fuccio. If only we had thought a bit harder about possible future inventions that might impact on us.... In 2019, PO! is about the worst possible name for a band.  Internet protocol means that an unknown ban

Making 'Little Stones' PO!'s first album

My blogging history of PO! got stuck around 1989. That's when 'Little Stones' was made. I'm hoping to re-release it soon, so here's a little information about it.  PO!'s first album, Little Stones, was recorded by Terri Lowe of The Originals on his  Tascam 1/4" reel to reel 4-track machine at a cost of £20. Members of The Originals played the backing tracks, recorded at Leicester's Chatham Street basement. This was because the former members of PO! had left me with with no musicians. The vocals, extra guitars and other instruments were recorded at the Originals' house on Aylestone Road (on the corner of Rutland Avenue) over a number of weekends when there were no Leicester City home matches. (Terri Lowe went to the home games).  I had written most of the songs over a period of a few months. Usually I composed on acoustic guitar with a pad and pen to write down chords and vocal melodies down before evolving the lyrics. I can remember livin

Ruth's Refrigerator 1990 -1992

Songs, albums, European tours all happened with the band Ruth's Refrigerator. I don't quite know how it all came together but it provided an excellent side project during a time when there were no other members of PO! to play gigs or plan anything significant. Ruth's Refrigerator l-r Terri Lowe, Ruth Miller, Blodwyn P. Teabag, Alan Jenkins, Robyn Gibson Main man, Alan Jenkins was in cult 80's band The Deep Freeze Mice and he put out records by various obscure artists. He wrote a letter to me after hearing the flexi on John Peel and invited me to his flat in Leicester to talk about him putting my song 'Appleseed Alley' on a compilation. Then he invited me to sing on some recordings and a band was formed. Before long we were writing songs and drinking lots of very strong coffee. Alan Jenkins was always intriguing and fun to work with. We had a connection without talking much or touching or anything like that. One of the best aspects of playing music with o